The Courage to Heal is an inspiring, comprehensive guide that offers hope and a map of the healing journey to every woman who was sexually abused as a child — and to those who care about her. Although the effects of child sexual abuse are long-term and severe, healing is possible.
Weaving together personal experience with professional knowledge, the authors provide clear explanations, practical suggestions, and support throughout the healing process. Readers will feel recognized and encouraged by hundreds of moving first-person stories drawn from interviews and the authors’ extensive work with survivors, both nationally and internationally.
This completely revised and updated 20th anniversary edition continues to provide the compassionate wisdom the book has been famous for, as well as many new features:
- Contemporary research on trauma and the brain
- An overview of powerful new healing tools such as imagery, meditation, and body-centered practices
- Additional stories that reflect an even greater diversity of survivor experiences
- The reassuring accounts of survivors who have been healing for more than twenty years
- The most comprehensive, up-to-date resource guide in the field
- Insights from the authors’ decades of experience
- Taking Stock
- The Healing Process
- Changing Patterns
- For Supporters of Survivors
- Courageous Women
- Resource Guide
ISBN 07493 09 385, year: 2008 now in its third, revised and updated edition.